In the wake of Hurricane Sandy, many New Yorkers are still without heat. As temperatures drop, it is important to remember never to use a gas stove to heat your home. When not properly vented, gas stoves (along with other fuel-burning appliances) can produce carbon monoxide, a colorless, odorless gas. When inhaled, carbon monoxide displaces oxygen in your blood, making it lethal even in small quantities. Minimize your risk for carbon monoxide poisoning by making sure that you have a carbon monoxide detector installed in your home.
-Learn more about carbon monoxide from the Department of Health
-Learn more about smoke and carbon monoxide alarms from FDNY
-Read the Tip of the Week online here